Friday, April 29, 2011

Home Ab Workout

Today a friend of mine asked me what a good workout for the abs was that you could do at home.  When I'm at the gym working abs, I have two main ab sets that specifically target the obliques.  Russian Twists, and Windshield Wipers, which I've shown below in the video.  After that I'll finish off with sit-ups, crunches, etc.  Those everyone knows so whatever.  The number one reason why my main working sets focus on obliques is that a lot of the stuff I do incorporates core tension and balance so I don't feel like I need to attack them so hard specifically, whereas obliques sometimes I find they're neglected.  Russian twists are awesome, but you can't really do them at home, so that leaves windshield wipers.  As long as you have a pull-up bar, which if you're working out at home you pretty much can't do without, you can do the wipers.  Normally you go side to side, but in my variation I like to go full circle to make a bit more challenging. Stretch out your back and lats before doing these, with all that tension you don't want to pull anything. 
And remember, you can do all the ab workouts in the world, but if you've got a layer of fat covering them, no one's going to see them!  So do your cardio!

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. What's the "drawing-in maneuver"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, great workouts ! Go for the cardio, I wanna try this too.

    ReplyDelete