Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 7 of my 60 day handstand challenge

So I'm 7 days into my handstand challenge, and things are looking pretty good.  I made some good progress I think, but I'm starting to run into a couple problems.
-Wrist pains
-Can't seem to get my body straight without crashing down.

Of course, I could settle with the curved back handstand, but I'd like to challenge myself and really try and get the perfect gymnastics style handstand with the straight back.  I figure, if I'm going to do this, might as well go all the way.  The only problem is whenever I consciously stiffen out my body and legs, I seem to lose balance... I thought it was supposed to help me keep my balance?!  The other problem is that since I workout everyday, by the time I get home from school my muscles are exhausted.  Especially yesterday, (which btw, I got a new personal record on deadlifts... 350 lbs!) =)  My wrists were extremely tired from deadlifts and back day in general, and found that my handstand suffered as well.

Anyways, here's a video of my progress... as promised!

3 comments:

  1. Train on paralleletes to reduce wrist pain, I would reduce free standing handstands as they will cause imbalances without reaching certain milestones. I would advise hollow holds, tuck planche/frog stands and wall supported handstands all of which should be done in static holds.

    Please refer to this article by Coach Sommer: http://gymnasticbodies.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8:building-an-olympic-body&catid=2:articles&Itemid=3

    The same principles should be applied to handstands.

    I'm from gymnastics bodies by the way, couldn't find your thread asking questions on handstands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips. I've been meaning to build paralletes pretty soon. As long as I get out and buy the PVC...

    ReplyDelete