Monday, June 27, 2011

Top 3 Mistakes in Weight Lifting

Over the years I have seen people do some pretty stupid stuff at the gym.  For example, the other day I saw 3 high school kids walk over to the squat rack, put 10 lb bumper plates onto the barbell, and proceeded to do bicep curls.  I stared at them in disbelief but they were too busy comparing their biceps to notice me.  Cutting to the chase, here are the 3 biggest mistakes in my opinion in weight lifting:

1. Forgetting to breathe:  When going for that new personal record sometimes people forget that their brain needs oxygen and that by holding their breathe they are some how stronger.  Breathe!
2. Lifting on an upset stomach: for all those who know what I mean, I empathize.  For those who don't, just don't do it.  Make sure you do what you have to do in the washroom before lifting.
3. Overestimating one's abilities:  Not only does this hinder your progress, if you're lucky you can end up on the internet for everyone's amusement.

Now that I've explained that, I'm sure a few people will disagree with me, but rest assured I was not completely serious when I came up with these.  In fact, they really just complement the videos below... and although they may not be the biggest mistakes... we should all take note.

Enjoy!

Note: Pay attention to the area between the lifter's feet in the first video

1 comment: