Friday, June 24, 2011

Update

Gains!  The past couple weeks has been good in terms of personal records for me.  Last week I clean and jerked 165#, and few days later followed it up with a 195# clean.  My weighted pullups went up to +55#, and I managed to lift 375# on the deadlift!  It's interesting that most of these new records were done at times when I'm training minimally.  I'm really busy right now, with finding an apartment, buying furniture, booking hotels and flights, etc etc, and I just can't train as much as I did before.  It's actually probably because of this that I'm able to lift these weights in the gym.  My body is well rested and strong when I go into the gym, and it's not struggling to recover from previous days workouts.  Sometimes when I take a week off from the gym, either because I'm busy or I'm going on vacation, I come back to the gym expecting that I will be weaker, but usually it's the opposite.  So I figure it's good to give the body a break once in a while, let everything recover back to 100%, and then get back at it after. 

More on deadlifts, I was talking with a friend who competes in strongman competitions, and we're going to try and race for the 3X bodyweight deadlift.  I'm around 135#, so I would have to DL 405#.  He's around 190# and would have to DL 570#.  I think right now he deadlifts just over 500?  Anyways, it seems like a fun challenge and a good goal to set.  Hopefully I can get there in less than 6 months.  I finally went out and bought wrist straps and chalk, so that should help with my deadlifting. 

Anyways, this was a pretty boring post, but like I said I'm busy.  I'll try to make something more interesting when I get time!

2 comments:

  1. Haha, can I have one guess as to who your strongman friend is...?

    I've heard that when speed skaters train for the olympics they slowly ween off their training, down to like 10% in the weeks leading up to the games so that their bodies are super well rested when they need to go all out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yeah i wonder who it is....

    that's an interesting fact

    ReplyDelete