Saturday, October 13, 2012

Fruit/Veggie Shakes


It's Alex here.

It's been a while since I've posted anything here, not that anyone actually reads this but before I go into what I've been up to here's a nice recipe for a smoothie that I have every morning to kick start my day.  I've always loved fruit smoothies in the morning with strawberries, yogurt, etc, but after listening to Joe Rogan rave about kale shakes, I decided to mix it up a bit.  Here's the recipe I got from Joe's twitter:

Kale Shakes

4 large kale leaves
4 stalks of celery
1 cucumber
1 pager size hunk of ginger
4 cloves of garlic
pineapple for taste

Ok I'm not going to lie, that sounds really gross and Joe himself says it's disgusting but he does it for the benefits.  While I don't doubt that, I'd rather have some of those veggies separate from my shake and actually have something that tastes relatively good.  So here's the concoction I put together in the morning:

A hand full of strawberries
1 orange
1 banana
yogurt
milk
1 scoop of vanilla protein
1 teaspoon of powdered glutamine
1 large kale leaf
small handful of spinach
1/4 cup of water (because the vanilla can be a little overpowering)
Variety of frozen fruits (to make the shake thick and cold)

I've been doing this for the past few weeks every morning and I love it!  It gives me energy all morning especially since I have it after my breakfast and drink it throughout the morning so it just keeps me going, and I get all my day's fruit servings in one shot.  Another reason why I haven't tried Joe Rogan's kale shake recipe is because I don't think my blender would blend the vegetables enough such that I don't choke on chunkies.  He uses a $500 blender called the vitamix, (seems like an amazing product but is it worth it? I'm still considering it and if I do get it, I'll do a review on it).  

 That's it.  I'll try to post more in the next little while.  Happy training everyone

1 comment:

  1. Love it. We bought a juicer and use it all the time. Would like to purchase a blender for shakes too, will have to keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete